Is organic skincare worth your money?
There are so many options these days when you’re trying to choose a lotion, hand wash, deodorant or really any product for your skin. And it can be challenging to figure out what’s good for you and the planet and what’s just greenwash marketing. Fortunately, we have a principle that can help align your purchase with your values for your health, the environment, and it’s worthy of your money. Choose organic skincare! Here’s why we think it’s a great idea to look for skincare products with organic ingredients:
5 reasons to choose organic skincare:
- Organic crops have up to 69% higher levels of antioxidants than conventionally farmed crops. Without pesticides, plants produce more antioxidants, many of which serve as defenses against pests and disease (1). Antioxidants are also great for your skin! Organic skincare products may be higher in antioxidants.
- Organic farms and surrounding areas have an increase in species diversity by 30% (2). Species diversity contributes to ecosystem health. And each part of an ecosystem is important to the whole system’s survival.
- Soils from organic farms have 26% percent more potential for long-term carbon storage than soils from conventional farms (3).
- Certified organic producers have legally binding standards for animal welfare and practices such as crop rotation, letting fields lie fallow and fertilizing with compost. Use of genetically modified organisms (GMO) is prohibited.
- Organic farming supports healthy water systems for all creatures. In conventional farming, synthetic pesticides can enter and contaminate water through direct application, runoff, and atmospheric deposition. They can poison fish and wildlife, contaminate food sources, and destroy the habitat that animals use for protective cover. (4)
Is organic skincare better? It's looking out for your body and the earth. And what's better than that?